Accidental Americans

Many citizens of foreign countries also happen to hold a U.S. citizenship without ever residing in the U.S (or only doing so as children). They may have it because they were born in the U.S. or received it from their parents, which is why they are referred to as "Accidental Americans".

Regardless of how the US citizenship was obtained, they are still required to file an annual tax return with the IRS on their worldwide income. Same as all U.S. citizens who live in America.

Coming into compliance can be complex and failure to do so may result in significant penalties. Common terms associated with this are FBAR, FATCA, OVDP and Streamline. Let American Expat Tax be your advocate and help you determine your next steps and bring you in to compliance. Contact us today for a free consultation.

Get Started Filing Your Tax Returns Today!